Friday 16 December 2011

Flight over and first day.

Well, I'm here in Hampshire now, my second day here.  I got up at 03:45, fun - not really. 
Anyway, the Flights were pretty much normal, nothing extraordinary to speak of, except now Singapore Airlines have plugs in the back of the seat to charge your iPhones, yay!  I flew from Singapore to London in an A380, I was on the lower deck, and I didn't really register the deck above me at all, there is more headroom in that, and there are power points in the arms of the seats, which meant that when I wasn’t sleeping I was on my laptop cranking the Napoleon: Total War, which meant the flight went so much quicker.  I had gotten some Temazepam sleeping pills prescribed to me by my GP before I left, helped me to get to sleep, and I slept for about 6-8 hours, but I wasn’t very rested, I wouldn’t do it again. I didn’t do much in Singapore airport for my 6 hour layover, except make full use of the 4 hours of free Wi-Fi I got when I arrived getting in contact with people in Oz.

When I arrived at Heathrow at 05:55 yesterday, I collected my hold luggage, and caught the express into Paddington Station, really nice station btw, I went to Waterloo and left my excess baggage in a holding area (£25.50 for the day :-O) I went to a gym at Kings College and bought a day pass (mainly to have a shower), but I thought I’d have an exercise, my legs told me I was a bloody idiot after about 15 mins, so I had a (cold) shower, and commenced my day, I went to the Strand and Fleet st (a, for T-Mobile on Fleet st, and b, because 2 of my History courses have been about the Strand (Uni people guess who the co-ordinator is and the 2 courses for 5 points :-p) I got breakfast then went to High Holborn for some Christmas shopping (a present from me to me) where I bought a Hornby 00 scale Orient Express set (I couldn’t afford the cost of a ticket on the real Orient Express), then I got lunch in Piccadilly Circus and went to get my preliminary meeting for my tailored-made suit.  That went well, I’m getting a black 2-trouser, 3-piece suit, which has a 4-button single-breasted jacket, and a 10-button double-breasted waistcoat.  The lining of the jacket and the back of the waistcoat is a bright yellow (!) I also got my shirts at the time, I was going to get 2 shirts, with 2 collars each (1 wing collar, 1 normal collar each), but while they do do detachable collars, they only do 1 per shirt, as I had saved quite a bit of money on the suit I went to get 4 shirts, but they do a pack of 5 shirts which works out as much as a pack of 3 shirts, the only problem is they all have to be the same design, so I’m getting 6, 5 business shirts with normal collars (2 white, 1 plain, 1 herringbone, red/white herringbone, blue/light blue herringbone, and plain black), and a white dinner shirt with wing collars, all have French cuffs.

After the tailors I picked up my luggage from Waterloo and caught the train down to Portchester. I got picked up by my aunt Isabel who took me to my Aunt Fiona’s house (She lives in Saudi Arabia most of the year), showed me the deal for everything.  By this stage I was half dead, so after Isabel left, I had a nice sit down and I was asleep by 9:30

I’ve got no real travel plans today, Pizza at Isabel and Colin’s tonight, that’s about it.  Although when I woke up it was to a notification of the Falcons-Jaguars game – 41-14 to the good, so I might watch it today (thanks NFL game pass).

Final random thing, when I was walking along High Holborn today, I was standing at a pedestrian crossing, when I thought the gentleman next to me was saying something to me, so I turned around and said “Pardon”, turned out he was talking to the man next to me, so I apologised and explained that I was über-tired, and he asked where I had come from, I said “Adelaide”, and, no joke, this is what he said; “Welcome back”.  Made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment